Re: A list of textbook miscon: spatial coherence

On Thu, 12 Feb 1998 SCIAMANDA@edinboro.edu wrote:

William Beaty wrote:
(By "coherent" I mean "having large spatial coherence length.)

Bill,
Before this discussion gets mired in semantics, let me just point out
that you seem to be confusing what I believe to be the common notions
of spatial vs. temporal coherence:

Hi Bob! What part of my long diatribe seems to be discussing temporal
coherence? While writing it, I was visualizing a set of atoms which emit
perfectly monochromatic light ("temporally coherent"), so temporal
coherence issues can be ignored. Either some of my thoughts are confused,
or I didn't succeed in stating them clearly.

billb@eskimo.com www.eskimo.com/~billb