Re: Comments: txtbk misconceptions

I may be about to be argueing semantics, but here goes; of course that was
my point.

Some of the later items strike me as being more of the nature of
disagreement concerning terminology and aren't misconceptions.

item 36 is an example of this.

36) 2-plate capacitors are charged with energy, not with electrical
charge. A charged capacitor contains just as many + and - charged
particles as a discharged capacitor.

I don't think it is a misconception to say 2-plate capacitors are
"charged
with electrical charge", the books I read that say this or similar
statements; provide an operational definition of what those words mean
which
is similar to the second sentence above. And hence doesn't represent a
misconception. At worse its a poor choice of words (not my opinion
though,
I like the words just fine); and therefore not a proper item for this
list.

I disagree on this one. The charged two-plate capacitor does indeed have
just the same total charge (zero) as an uncharged one. The Q in C = Q/V is
the magnitude of the charge on one plate, not the total charge.

I never said otherwise, let me rephrase, the books are generally careful to
specify that "charging up a capacitor to charge Q", is really putting equal
and opposite net charge on each of the two conductors. This is exactly what
you say above. Therefore I don't think those words are a misconception,
when they are operationally defined to mean the correct situation.

One way to
charge such a capacitor is to move charge of one sign from one plate to
the other, thereby changing the energy of that configuration of charge.
The usual textbook explanations generally don't get across to students
what's actually happening.

The fact that it doesn't get across to the students doesn't mean that its a
misconception; it just means that it may not be a vary good way of getting
the conception across to the students. That is a different issue. (also,
might mean the students really don't know how to read, but that is also
another issue).

A book propagated misconception, IMHO, is not a poor choice of words that
doesn't get the point across; rather it is the use of the wrong physical
principle to explain something.

I'm trying to seperate poor pedagogy from outright wrong physics being
propagated. Therefore, I still standby what I said about item 36.

We may have to agree on what a "misconception" is, in order to generate this
list.

Joel