Re: A list of textbook misconceptions

William Beaty wrote:
(By "coherent" I mean "having large spatial coherence length.)

Bill,
Before this discussion gets mired in semantics, let me just point out
that you seem to be confusing what I believe to be the common notions
of spatial vs. temporal coherence:
"having large spatial coherence length" ALONG the direction of
propagation is a measure of temporal coherence; coherence in a
direction perpendicular to the propagation direction is a measure of
spatial coherence. The first is examined in a Michelson type
interferometer; the second in a Young's double slit type interference
experiment. I think you are at times calling both "spatial coherence".

-Bob

Bob Sciamanda sciamanda@edinboro.edu
Dept of Physics trebor@velocity.net
Edinboro Univ of PA http://www.edinboro.edu/~sciamanda/home.html