Re: understand understanding, simple explanations, etc.

I'll play Sagredo, the discriminating student. You may adopt the
corresponding *persona* of your choice.

I would certainly do the easy things that are usually done, and I
would
add more astronomy than is traditional. You have correctly judged my
challenge, of course. For that reason, and because I would answer your
question about what to teach, I'll let you in on my approach to the
rainbow. Rats! I thought the challenge was a good one, too.

It was a good challenge indeed! You type too fast and well and the pace of
this thread is rapid.

Having said all that, I must confess to you that I have never given
this lecture, but I would love to be asked to do so.
Your plan is very much like the plan I do use to help students gain an
understanding for the way ligh behaves to make a rainbow. I do this as
part of a study of color. In a "concptual" High school course we are not
as constrained as you are.

Leigh

Like many discussions of differing views, I am struck by the notion
that we are talking about different things. Am I teaching Physics? I
have goals for teaching a Conceptual Physics class which are
multi-leveled:
A. There is a cause and effect relationship in nature. Physics strives to
explore a portion of nature.
B. The world is inherently interesting and with good questions and a bit
of perseverance, everyone can begin to understand the world around them.
Doing this study the way Physicsist do it is Fun, albeit challenging.
C. The process of this learning is ongoing and cyclical. Our knowledge is
undergoing constant revision. Even knowledgeable Physicsists will
disagree.
D. No-one should believe their understanding is complete.

Finally, perhaps I should call this class Physics Appreciation though I
do try to do more than just have the students watch. I try to give them
questions to investigate, to involve them in developing their
understanding.

Ken Fox
Smoky Hill High School
16100 Smoky Hill Rd