Re: light is slowing down

Date: Sat, 07 Feb 1998 09:45:56 -0500 (EST)
From: "Donald E. Simanek" <dsimanek@eagle.lhup.edu>
Subject: Re: Light slows down in glass?

In another discussion group, on an entirely different subject, someone
wondered whether a particular subject could be taught in high school
without telling some lies. I wonder whether *any* subject, including
physics, can be taught in schools without telling lies, unless one limits
oneself to mundane facts and phenomena, and makes no attempt to "explain".

So we may need some smokescreen after all.

People often debate about what to eliminate in order to follow the "less
is more" idea. Everything that needs "lies" should be eliminated.
"A First Course in Physics" by Millikan and Gale (1906) is a good prototype
for an introductory physics text, in my opinion.

I remember reading somewhere that a small greenhouse box in which glass was
replaced by an IR-transparent crystal had essentially the same temperature
for two substances. It is the absence of convection, they said, that is the
main cause of high temperatures in green houses.
Ludwik Kowalski