Re: Potential Energy = "U"?

I don't know but I guess if you want a one-letter handle
you need to pick one that is not in use for something else
in your calculation. There are many questions of this
kind: Why is S the entropy? Why is H the enthalpy? Why is
Q the heat? None of this really seems to have any logical
reasoning behind it. Why are the large and small greek
psi's used for the Schroedinger wave functions?

I can't answer most of these but I'm pretty sure that H for enthalpy
comes from heat. A mixed blessing, at best, but at least there are
*some* situations in which delta-H equals the heat added.

(No flames from those who want to abolish the word heat, please!)

Dan Schroeder