Re: IMAGINARY NUMBERS

I haven't been following this thread but I think James has a point. Try
pulling out a translation of Galileo and following his derivation of the
relationship x=v(ave) t (Theorem I, Proposition I) using geometry (as
Galileo did) rather than algebra. Algebra is MUCH easier. Algebra was a
relatively recent development at that time; it is not clear whether Galileo
just didn't understand it well enough to use it or didn't think the
arguments would be as convincing if he used the 'new math'.

kyle