Re: sun's spectrum

-----Original Message-----
From: Leigh Palmer <palmer@sfu.ca>
To: phys-l@atlantis.uwf.edu <phys-l@atlantis.uwf.edu>
Date: Friday, January 30, 1998 7:41 PM
Subject: Re: sun's spectrum

. . . Emission lines are those for which
the radiant flux is greater than the flux at adjacent wavelengths.
they show as peaks in a spectrum of intensity plotted against
wavelength. The Sun has none to speak of in the visible, and
certainly not in the disk for hydrogen, which is abundant in the
chromosphere. Emission lines of hydrogen can be seen in solar
prominences during a total solar eclipse. In fact they look red.
Those with an intense interest in the solar spectrum might like
to store this URL: http://mesola.obspm.fr/form_spectre.html

Leigh

There is a project going on, involving several observatories, which is
mapping the rotation velocity of the sun's surface by carefully measuring
(and mapping) Doppler shifts in the H alpha line as a function of position
on the disk. Our campus astronomer is involved; I don't know all the
details, but I was given to understand that the procedure involved observing
the disk through an H alpha filter. Does this jive with what you're saying,
Leigh? Perhaps it is just that the H line is there but it does not stand
out in brightness against the continuum. (?)
-Bob

Bob Sciamanda sciamanda@edinboro.edu
Dept of Physics trebor@velocity.net
Edinboro Univ of PA http://www.edinboro.edu/~sciamanda/home.html
Edinboro, PA (814)838-7185

"All things . . . linked are,
That thou canst not stir a flower,
Without troubling of a star." -Francis Thompson