Re: microwave power settings

What Leigh is looking for is a device that is still waiting to be invented:
the triode magnetron ( remember deForest?).

There is an alternative, end loading. If one places two identical
targets in the oven (and rotating on a turntable) each will be heated
at half power. A dummy load can be adjusted to taste.

My problem arises when doing experiments at home, and particularly
when I make chocolate sauce. This involves heating sugar syrup and
letting it bubble for a while. My current recipe requires that the
oven work at reduced duty cycle (about 20%) once the syrup gets
hot, else it will bubble over. I could use a higher setting (and
not worry about visually monitoring it) if I had a partial power
level that was steady. As it is the heating bubbles the syrup
periodically. I haven't tried the dummy load trick (I just thought
it up) which is a result of having had a CQ answered once when I
was pumping forty watts of CW into a light bulb on forty meters -
several decades ago. QRP, we called it.

Leigh