From: George Spagna <gspagna@rmc.edu>
To: phys-l@atlantis.uwf.edu <phys-l@atlantis.uwf.edu>
Date: Friday, January 30, 1998 11:31 AM
Subject: microwave power settings

A new thread:

For a microwave oven, when one selects other than 100% power for cooking or
defrosting, what is changed in the oven cavity?

Is the power level 100% for a smaller fraction of the duty cycle? i.e. does
the magnetron spend less time "on" than at "full power"?

Or, is the duty cycle a fixed fraction of run time but at a lower
intensity? i.e. is the magnetron "on" for the same time but emitting fewer
photons?

Department of Physics * *
Randolph-Macon College * "I like to keep an open mind, *
P.O. Box 5005 * *
Ashland, VA 23005-5505 * but not so open my brains fall out." *
* *
phone: (804) 752-7344 * - Arthur Sulzberger *
FAX: (804) 752-4724 * *
http://www.rmc.edu/~gspagna/gspagna.html