Re: Radioactive SparkPlugs

<snip>
radioactive spark plugs. The problem I have is that for any
applications such as spark gaps or ionizers, it is Po-210 that
is used. Also, as I mentioned in my original posting, I can
<snip>

The above reminds me that I have in my Radiation Demonstration kit a
device that I rescued from a sidewalk sale. I don't have the details,
but, I seem to recall that the device was labled a "Spark Gap" for some
type of short wave radio (I think) It is about 1.5 cm in length and
maybe 3-4 mm in diameter. Both ends were gold and the body was
apparently a ceramic material. The box indicated that the device
contained Cesium-137. When I got it back to the lab, I Pegged the
needle on the gieger counter. I finally got an estimate of 100-400
microCuries. ( I really need better equipment)

Anyone have any idea as to the exact nature of the device and how it was
supposed to work? What part of the circuit would it be placed in? An
ohmmeter test indicated an open circuit between the end contacts.

Pete Lohstreter
Physics Department
North Garland High School

petel@tenet.edu