Re: A TRUE/FALSE question for your kids

Is the water level initially below the edge of the pool or is the pool "full to
the brim" before the stone is dropped? Is the stone dropped into the pool or is
it gently lowered into the pool? A wise cracking student left to choose his own
answers to the above conditions would probably say something along the lines of
"The water level would drop because it was initally full to the brim and when I
dropped the stone in it caused waves which ran over the edge of the pool. Once
the waves settled, the water would be slightly lower." At least I think that is
what a wise cracking student would say. I of course, being a serious minded
individual, would have no real insight into what such a student would actually
say.

--
Hans G. Ammitzboll physics@mindless.com
Drew University Physics Dept.