Videao cameras and quality of image

On 28 Jan 1998 12:01:11 Tim Sullivan x5830 <sullivan@kenyon.edu> wrote:

I'm not an expert on Video Point, but we do a lot of video at Kenyon (and
I am co-author of PhysVis, Kenyon's freeware program getting kinematic data
from captured video clips, so have some expertise in digital video.)

I can't think how the problem can be ascribed to Video Point itself, rather
the problem may be the current state of video. VHS tape is the worst (about
200x512 resolution). SVHS is better at about 400x512. Direct camera out is
even better (limited by the CCD pixel resolution and quality of optics).

Is it true then that by recording a falling object with the VHS-camera tilted
by 90 degrees one gets much better vertical resolution (512) than from the
same nontilted camera?

Are you saying that it is better to capture (digitize) clips directly than
storing them on tape and digitizing from tape? Do you know the typical CCD
pixel resolution of an old camcorder, for example, a large HVS Magnavox
manufactured 5 years ago, or so. How does this compare with today's small
camcorders?
Ludwik Kowalski