Re: was REFLECTION AND REFRACTION

Donald E. Simanek wrote:

On Sun, 25 Jan 1998, Herbert H. Gottlieb wrote:

On Sat, 24 Jan 1998 22:32:15 -0400 (EDT) LUDWIK KOWALSKI
<KOWALSKIL@alpha.montclair.edu> writes:

"The child comes to an understanding of the world through his own
efforts. While he may accomodate his thought to the ideas of others, it
is only
as he tries those ideas out within the context of the ideas he has
previously acquired that he makes them his own."
Jean Piaget

This "theory of learning" has just been rediscovered.
It is called CONCEPTUALISM.

Herb Gottlieb from New York City
(Where we now have more theories of learning than actual learning in our
schools)

In the ed-biz, where any simple idea can be made into a fad by giving it a
catchy name.

-- Donald

Donald beat me to the punch. I often think of educational fads in the
same way that I think of clothing fads. A double breasted suit today may
have slightly different lapels, have a slightly different cut and be
made out of different materials, but it still is a double breasted suit.
In a similar vein are "theories" of learning. We are missing out in
physics by not dressing up some of the old theories in new names, cite a
lot of references to give our papers on these "new" theories some
semblance of authority, and each get several new publications this
spring.

Roger Pruitt, PhD (physics), BS (education)