Re: why do scalpels cut easily when moving?

According to what I recall of the literature that came with my knives
(Haenkel), what Clarence says is actually correct. A knife is actually
a saw on a microscopic scale that tears. The use of a steel, which
for a sharp knife should be used regularly to keep knives sharp (like
with each use), is to keep the rough edge (which is thin and
malleable) oriented upward (rather than rolled over). For this reason
a steel, contrary to some popular belief will not sharpen a dull
knife. It will hinder the process toward becoming dull.

I think, if you look at your edge with a high power microscope,
you will see some roughness which acts like the serrations of
a bread knife.

Clarence Bennett
Oakland University
Rochester, Michigan