Re: True Basic

The standard, pro, and student packages are DOS or standard Mac. You can
do a lot with these (the student packages don't include any of the
libraries--you want at least the Standard. The PRO version has a complete
set of libraries and complete documentation. The Version 5 are Windows and
PowerMac ready although the other versions run fine under Win95 full screen
DOS mode. These are much more powerful with extensive libraries for dealing
with windows-like environments, but using these takes you away from the
simplicity of the standard version. Limitations of the Standard version are
16 colors and VGA resolution while the version 5 forms can handle 256 colors
and any resolution. Actually they're up to Version 5.1 which adds jpeg
manipulation so you really can work with up to 16M colors (there are ways to
do this even without jpeg). I've been working with Version 5 since it
appeared (late as with most of today's software) and have a log of over 100
e-mails to Tom Kurtz about getting the package really debugged and
functional. Version 5.1 is _close_. I'd personally advise the Version 5.
The libraries aren't as extensive as with the Pro version, but the
capabilities are more advanced. You can however, maintain the simplicity of
the earlier DOS versions by never calling any of the windows (PC-style or
Mac-style) specific routines.

BTW, be sure to check if they might offer educational discounts since I DID
NOT pay $500 for these. I think I got the Pro versions for $200 each (have
both PC and Mac) and got in on an intro deal to get Version 5 for $100 each
(PC and Mac).

I'd be happy to discuss this in more detail privately.

Rick