Re: triboelectric effects

Can anyone give a description of the exact mechanism for one of the
common effects that we see in the lab: e.g. rubber rods become
negative when rubbed with fur. My students are always curious
about this, and I while I want them to understand that there are a
few possibilities; transfer of electrons, transfer of negative ions,
transfer of positive ions, or combinations of these, I'm interested to
know exactly what is known about this.

Gary Hemminger
Dwight-Engelwood School
315 E. Palisade Ave.