Simulations/computer language/etc

Yesterday, upon returning to my e-mail after a two-week holiday break I
encountered 309 msg, the great majority from phys-l. My apology for comming into
this discussion late.

My problems with simulations are :1. I question he student's ability to transfer
from the non-real world of the computer screen to real world models, and 2. the
time demand to become skilled in the use of the simulation. On the plus side use
of simulations can be used to emphasize that we deal in models of the "real
world", the simulations being no more real than equations. One of the main
characteristics of our profession, of science in general, is that we are model
builders. I find more use for simulations in courses beyond the intro-course.
This is an on-going discussion which Ludwik and I have - just where do they fit,
to maximize the learning achieved in the course.

As for computer languages, why teach computer languages in elementary school if
by language one means a formal computer language, as opposed to the steps in a
spreadsheet. There are more important skills to be taught in the time available,
like presentation skills, and discerning use of the internet. Any analytical
skills can as easily be taught using other vehicles.