Re: REFRACTION - REFLECTION

We discussed total internal reflection in my high school class this week
and one student had a question I was not sure about answering. He asked:

It is relatively easy to understand the macroscopic interaction light
has as it passes from water to air and bends as it does so due to a
change in the velocity of the light. But, what is the interaction that
occurs if the light reaches the surface with an angle of incidence
greater than the critical angle? What is really happening in this
situation and how is it different from the situation when the angle is
less than the critical angle?

I was not sure how to answer, can anyone help? Thanks.

I would recommend looking at Victor Weisskopf's Scientific American article
"How Light Interacts with Matter" (Sept 1968, pp 60-71). He explains this
(and many other phenomena) in terms of Huygens wavelets from atomic
oscillators. In fact, the entire issue is devoted to light and is a real
gem. Wolfgang Rueckner