Re: Empiry

At 09:32 PM -0500 1/8/98, John Gastineau wrote:
Students know that the underlying rules of the simulation are the very
rules that they are expected to learn in their physics course. As a
result they have _considerable_ respect for the simulation--it allows
them a tool to explore those rules in a way that complements physical
experiments particularly well. It might help their grades, after all. (!)

Howdy,

I'm not at all convinced that students "know" that at all; it's all a big
electronic game to them. And knowing that doing the simulation and
"believing it" might help their grades is NOT and inducement to learning.

Let me expand on that last comment. One way that I have used simulations
with good success is to have students do an experiment (a physical
experiment, that is). Then, we open a simulation that models the
phenomenon that they have just observed. In the simulation it is easy to
vary parameters (i.e., to explore parameter space). Once can encourage
students to understand the system by asking "what would happen if you
increased the mass (or coefficient of friction, or...)?" Being able to
successfully make such predictions requires a good understanding of the
physics. The simulation allows much more practice than one can get using
a physical experiment. The two go hand in hand.

Combining an experiment with a simulation may be the ONLY way for a student
to gain any real belief in the simulation program. If you want to use
simulations this is the way to do it!

Good Luck,

Herb Schulz
(herbs@interaccess.com)