Re: Singing pipes

I seem to recall that Rijke tubes are, by definition, *thermally driven*.
Another example of them comes in liquid helium transfer tubes, again,
thermally driven. Yet another, is the old chimney roar of fireplaces,
especially, old wood stoves. If someone wants the references, I'll send
them.

The experiment described by Tom Wayburn is the way to test the fundamental
of bloogle tubes. I understand that you can hold one out the window of
your car while driving and set up the fundamental. Both Bloogle tubes and
Hooting tubes (Rijke tubes) require air passing *through* the tube to hear
the sounds for which they are noted. This is unlike the coke bottle
resonance of blowing over a pop bottle.

Tom Hudson was at Incarnate Word College in San Antonio, Texas, after a
long stint at U of Houston, the last I heard.

Hope this helps, Karl

Dr. Karl I. Trappe Desk Phone: (512) 471-4152
Physics Dept, Mail Stop C-1600 Demo Office: (512) 471-5411
The University of Texas at Austin Home Phone: (512) 264-1616
Austin, Texas 78712-1081