Re: ECG labs, anyone?

My students do EKGs with the physiology students in our pre-nursing program.
We don't really do physics with the tracings, and it will remain this way
because, to meet the needs of the physiology students, we do this during
the middle of the first semester of physics. My students are basically
involved to ease the anxieties of the physiology students.

We have PASCO computer interfaces and we connect Thornton equipment to
them. (We also do photoplethysmographs and some respiration stuff; we
have equipment for EEGs but I don't think they have ever been done.) The
equipment is easy to set up, but most students can't get it running
independently. Usually they forget to turn everything on, or they don't
plug it in, or they don't have a cable connected correctly. Six weeks
into the semester they aren't very good troubleshooters.

They run resting EKGs, EKGs after exercising, and EKGs after holding their
breath or hyperventilating. They identify P, QRS, and T features and match
them up with contractions and relaxations of the atria and ventricals, and
observe changes with exercise and respiration. The physiology students
think it is great.

We connect through three electrodes and some goopy electrode paste. The
quality of the trace obtained varies widely depending on the quality
of the connection. Some students who can read EKG traces get alarmed
by their traces, as they seem to indicate serious problems; the problem
is in the connections, not their hearts. Typically the heights of the
peaks is quite distorted. The DC level of the trace also tends to
move around as the student breathes or wiggles, but we usually just
redo things until we get a reasonably level trace.

Our equipment isn't terribly robust. Transformers in the amplifier/power
supplies tend to tear loose, and electrode cables are constantly losing
their plugs. Stern warnings about the cables have reduced this problem,
but initially it was common for a lab group to lose one or two during an
experiment, generally by attempting to exercise while connected to the
cables.