Re: #6: WOMEN'S WAYS OF KNOWING (final excerpt!)

Dewey,

First, let me put in a few good words for "elitism".
Unfortunately, if you want to "do" math, physics, engineering or the like
for a living you have to have the necessary talent for it. I think that
most of recognize that a relatively small number of students will have
that talent. We have an obligation to encourage, nurture, and develop
that talent. That process is almost by definition elitist. There is
nothing wrong with that. Elitism goes hand in hand with professionalism.
We have no problems with elitism in athletics, and we should have no
problem with elitism in the training of professional scientists and
engineers.

The problem comes when we take that to be our only obligation.
While very few folks ever get to be professional athletes or musicians,
very large numbers of people develop an appreciation for athletics or
music, and fairly large numbers of folks develop their more modest talents
to the point where they can regularly participate in athletic and musical
endeavors. We have an equally important obligation as science teachers to
help as many students as possible to gain an appreciation for science and
an understanding of how science affects their lives.

We should help all students to celebrate and appreciate the
achievements of the "elites" of science, just as we try to help all
students to celebrate and appreciate the "elites" in other fields.

We need the "few good men (and women)" in the Marines. They serve
an important purpose. At the same time we need all those grunts in Army
as well. They also serve an important purpose.....

Cheers,

Dr. Mark H. Shapiro
Physics Department
California State University, Fullerton
P.O. Box 6866
Fullerton, California 92834-6866

Phone: ++ (714) 278-3884 PCS: ++ (714) 350-3575
Fax: ++ (714) 278-5810
e-mail: mshapiro@fullerton.edu