Chimes; Waves in Pipes, Rods, Bars, etc

I am considering a unit on waves and want to get my students to make wind
chimes and xylophones. I now realize that I don't know as much about it as
I used to think I did. How do I calculate the frequency of a wave in a
struck pipe, rod, or bar. Which plays the bigger role: the transverse or
the longitudinal wave in the pipe. How does the air in the pipe or around a
rod or bar affect the tuning. I have heard that humidity affects even the
tuning of a xylophone.
DurigLewis@worldnet.att.net