Re: a nuclear energy topic

On Dec. 28, Ludwik Kowalski wrote:

Date: Sun, 28 Dec 1997 13:47:57 -0400 (EDT)
From: LUDWIK KOWALSKI <KOWALSKIL@alpha.montclair.edu>
To: phys-L@atlantis.uwf.edu
Subject: Re: a nuclear energy topic

[................]
In addition, reprocessing of spent fuel from civilian reactors, as
far as I know, is still illegal in the U.S. (Since 1977, President
Carter).

On one of my visits to the Northern States Power Company nuclear
reactor in Monticello, Minnesota, I was told that President Reagan
reversed the Carter decision, and it is not illegal now. However,
the damage was done, and private companies were not willing to take
the financial risk to build re-processing plants.

Regards,
Steven Ratliff

Steven T. Ratliff
Associate Professor of Physics