Re: Speech sensors?

On Fri, 26 Dec 1997 23:56:36 -0800 Leigh Palmer <palmer@sfu.ca> writes:
I once tried it with a 5mW HeNe laser and a photocell to detect
reflections from a vibrating window glass. It didn't work for me
but it might work with an optical system to concentrate the
reflected light on the photocell and sensitive amplifiers at the
receiving end.

What means did you use to detect the modulation? It seems to me that
one would have to look for some variant of an optical lever arrangement
get a signal from the window membrane. Merely receiving the reflection
won't do the trick.
Leigh

There should be a doppler effect as the window pane moves toward and then
away from the observer.

Think about that. Does the sensor have frequency sesitivity at optical
frequencies? Are you using the edge of a nerrow-band filter? What
frequency sensitivity would you require to detect the Doppler effect?

I think that once you do these calculations you will find that the
setup you were using could not be expected to detect acoustical
vibrations of the windowpane.

Leigh