Remote lab exercises?

To all;

I'm not sure I have bought into the whole distance learning idea and yet I
find myself in the awkward postion of having thought of some ways to
actually do something along these lines. In any case the following might be
of use to some of the list for other purposes: I and some colleagues have
set up a couple ways to control remote lab equipment via the internet. Our
methods are very simple and cheap and could be useful for many purposes
(including distance learning).

I will be talking about this in New Orleans at the AAPT meeting and have
the outline of our talk (with some working demos) on a web site at:
Http://Physics.ius.indiana.edu/TalksPapers/NewOrleans/Talk98AAPT.html

I don't know how stable the demo stuff is (it is REAL, not simulated, lab
equipment, after all! and in fact the video part won't show you much
because we can't keep it going for more than about an hour or two so far)
but I'm going to try to monitor it for a few days to be sure it still gives
something back. I haven't used any of this in class yet but may try next
fall for certian things. If you have any comments or suggestions, I'd
appreciate any feedback.

kyle

kyle forinash 812-941-2390
forinas@indiana.edu