Re: #3: WOMEN'S WAYS OF KNOWING/synopsis

On Tue, 23 Dec 1997 12:52:51 -0700 jane.jackson@asu.edu (Jane Jackson)
writes:
The third stage of intellectual development found by the authors of
the book WOMEN'S WAYS OF KNOWING in their 5-year study of 130 women aged

16 to 60.

Jane..(and other readers of this list serve)

Your treatise about the intellectual development of women is
very interesting but does each statement refer to ALL women,
90 percent of women, or 68 percent of women ..... or ????

As physics teachers, we know that there error bars must be
shown for each entry of data because of uncertainties that must
occur when making any measurement. Is it really possible to make
a statement about women's ways of knowing without anticipating
the possibility of exceptions?

The article states that "the emphasis on procedures, skills, and
techniques was common to ALL." And then it goes on with
hundreds of other sweeping statements such as "They conceive
knowledge as a process....." etc. etc. etc.

It is unconceivable that out of 130 women, during a five year period,
the interviewers could not even find ONE of them that DID NOT place
"an emphasis on procedures, skills, and techniques".

Wasn't there even ONE out of the 130 that DID NOT "conceive knowledge
as a process"?

Herb Gottlieb from New York City
(Where we doubt everything including our own doubting)