suction

It's like "suction". If both pressure and suction are real, then we
should be able to have arbitrarily high pressures, or arbitrarily high
suctions. In reality, we can only go about 15 PSI downwards from ambient
pressure. Yet we can go WAY higher in the other direction. And ambient
pressure is an arbitrary human division between what humans call
"pressure" and "suction." So "suction" doesn't exist, only various amounts
of pressure exist.

Well, I seem to remember a good discussion in one of Giancoli's texts about
how water is PULLED to the top of tall trees by the transpiration in the
leaves. (NOT to be confused with the 'transpiration' effect studied by
Reynolds and Maxwell!) The term 'negative pressure' is used, if I remember
correctly.

It's no accident that stressed Chuck Britton
spelled backwards is desserts. britton@odie.ncssm.edu