Re: Naive conceptions

On Fri, 19 Dec 1997, Thomas L Wayburn wrote:

What's the difference whether one speaks of *something* or *the absence
of something*? After all, electric current is the flow of "holes",
ain't it? More or less. - TLW

It's like "suction". If both pressure and suction are real, then we
should be able to have arbitrarily high pressures, or arbitrarily high
suctions. In reality, we can only go about 15 PSI downwards from ambient
pressure. Yet we can go WAY higher in the other direction. And ambient
pressure is an arbitrary human division between what humans call
"pressure" and "suction." So "suction" doesn't exist, only various amounts
of pressure exist.

Same for "hot" and "cold". Cold doesn't exist, and human body temp. is an
arbitrary, human division between what we call "hot" and what is "cold".

Now lets not get started here on whether "heat" exists! ;)

billb@eskimo.com www.eskimo.com/~billb