Re: pronunciation of Principia -Reply

Margaret's clarification verifies my suspicion that the Italianate
pronunciation of Latin is out there. There is yet another source unheard
from, and perhaps someone on the net can help us out.

When asked a question like Larry's about how something is pronounced in
Latin, Classical Hebrew, or Classical Greek, I always suggest, insincerely,
that a native informant be consulted (our daughter is a sociolinguist).
Native speakers of these classical languages are conventionally thought to
be extinct, but political leaders in Romania (or Rumania) have claimed that
"Modern Latin" is spoken there. Could anyone tell us how "principia" would
be pronounced in Romanian? There is another pretender to being modern Latin,
Romansh, spoken in eastern Switzerland. What would the pronunciation be in
that tongue?

Leigh