Re: pronunciation of Principia

At 3:12 PM -0800 12/16/97, Leigh Palmer wrote:
I have heard that the proper (derived from Latin) pronunciation of Newton's
Principia is prin-kip'-ee-a. (Support drawn from German Kaiser for
Caesar.) I have heard many others pronounce it prin-sip'-ee-a, but heard
on a cassette tape about the world's greatest 100 people the pronunciation
prin-si-pee'-a.

What do you Latin experts say?

Just a nit to pick for the holidays.

Appropriate. The "prinsipia" pronunciation is called "Church Latin";
the other is called "classical Latin". You may pronounce it as you
choose. Anyone who would understand what it represents would also
understand it pronounced either (eye-ther) way.

Happy solstice,

Leigh

Right on Leigh!! Down with the Myth of Unique Pronunciation!

Richard Grandy