Re: Grading & Excel-dropping 1

The comments of Hugh Haskell below are, in my mind, right on the money
(forgive the pun)! After almost two years of having the full Microsoft
Office (Word-6, Excel-5, etc.), most of us here at the Naval Academy
(almost entirely Mac) have chosen to stick with good old Word-5 and
Excel-4.

It also seems that most of the colleagues across the country from who I
have heard feel as we do here at the Academy. The only exceptions have
been for those that are heavily involved in HTML. Word-6 has a
significant WYSIWYG channel to HTML output. Additionally, Excel-5 is some
help in building TABLES for HTML.

That having been said, even with the HTML niceties of the newer Microsoft
Office package, many still seem to find the older Word-5 and Excel-4 much
friendlier, and then they use some other product (PageMill, WebWeaver,
etc.) to move there documents to HTML. And of course there is the "huge"
disk space requirements of the newer Microsoft Office package.

This will probably change as it becomes more and more difficult to pass
documents back and forth to Windows when others are using WinWord-97 and
WinExcel-97. For right now, I'm content to be a stick in the mud and stay
with the older products.

ERTEL SENDS.
/^\-/^\
/ \
| * |
|#########|
===========================
/ Prof. John P. Ertel \
/ veteran Eagle Scout \
| jpe@nadn.navy.mil or ertel@nadn.navy.mil |
| Physics Department, 9C Office : 410-293-6657 |
| Michelson Rm-338 DSN : 281-6657 |
| 572 Holloway RD FAX : 410-293-3729 |
| U. S. Naval Academy Research : 410-293-2759 |
| Annapolis, MD 21402-5026 Home : 410-757-6618 |