Re: Grading & EXcel

At 04:02 PM 12/12/1997 -0700, Dan MacIsaac wrote:
Req for Excel expert assistance:

I usually grade the best 15 of 20 activities; best 2 of 3 midterms; best
13 of 14 labs etc to avoid giving makeups. Problem is, at the end of semester
I have to then manually pick these 'best' grades out of the records.

Is there an Excel wiz out there who knows how to write Excel functions?? I'd
like to acquire or get assistance with producing a BestNof function. This
function would allow me to set a cell range and an integer. The function
should return the sum of the best N scores of the selected cells (the
sum of the highest N values in the range of cells).

Anyone know how to do this or know someone who knows how to do this?

Dan,

Here is a way to exclude the two lowest scores of a series in columns B
through F. I think you can modify it fairly straightforwardly for each of
your situations.

=(SUM(B3:F3)-SMALL(B3:F3,1)-SMALL(B3:F3,2))/(COUNT(B3:F3)-2)

It is given in a tutorial on grades and Excel that I have written and
posted at:

http://www.bridgewater.edu/cescc/acadcomp/ac.html

Hope this helps.

Richard
Dr. Richard L. Bowman
Chair, Dept. of Physics e-mail: rbowman@bridgewater.edu
(and Dir. of Academic Computing) phone: 540-828-5441
Bridgewater College FAX: 540-828-5479
Bridgewater, VA 22812 http://www.bridgewater.edu/~rbowman/