Re: Grading & EXcel

I don't know about excel but if you get a program like micrograde you can
specifiy catagories and then tell the software to drop however many of the
lowest grades that you want.

here is the web address
http://dlcwest.com/~wmp/Chariot/Micrograde/s-mg.html

regards george marrash

At 08:30 AM 12/13/97 -0500, you wrote:
At 04:02 PM 12/12/1997 -0700, you wrote:
Req for Excel expert assistance:

I usually grade the best 15 of 20 activities; best 2 of 3 midterms; best
13 of 14 labs etc to avoid giving makeups. Problem is, at the end of
semester
I have to then manually pick these 'best' grades out of the records.

Is there an Excel wiz out there who knows how to write Excel functions??
I'd
like to acquire or get assistance with producing a BestNof function. This
function would allow me to set a cell range and an integer. The function
should return the sum of the best N scores of the selected cells (the
sum of the highest N values in the range of cells).

Anyone know how to do this or know someone who knows how to do this?

Dan M

Hip-deep in grading...
Gimmee an 'A'

Dan MacIsaac, Assistant Professor of Physics and Astronomy, Northern AZ Univ
danmac@nau.edu http://www.phy.nau.edu/~danmac/homepage.html

Hi,
I solved this problem in Quattro Pro by
(1) copying the row of marks into a column on another page of the
spreadsheet.
(2) sorting the marks into numerical order.
(3) taking the average of the top N marks in the column.
I have not used Excell, so I cannot help with the coding,except to
say that it can be done.

The Problems:
(a) The macro language is reasonably complicated.
(b) Every now and again the macros will fail, and I have no idea as
to the cause,and so I don't know how to make them robust enough for
the inexperienced user.
(c) I wrote this in Quattro Pro 6.1, and the program won't run in
Quattro Pro 8, so I have to keep the old version of Quattro Pro to
run my marks program.

Perhaps this may point you in a useful direction.

Regards,

Patrick W. Whippey EMail: pwhippey@julian.uwo.ca
Department of Physics & Astronomy Phone: 519-661-2111 x 6431
University of Western Ontario Fax: 519-661-2033
London Ont N6A 3K7

* George Marrash Heaven help the man who is not *
* The McCallie School *
* 500 Dodds Ave. Scottish and hears the pipes. *
* Chattanooga, TN 37404 *
* gmarrash@truth.mccallie.chattanooga.tn.us *
* http://www.mccallie.org/gmarrash *
* (423) 493-5875 *