What are the labs for?

On December 12, 1997, referring to this,

The rule which prevails in the lab should be that "data are bad only when
students do something incorrectly, otherwise they should be good". That
does not happen with "black boxes". During our experimentation we had to
reject data from numerous trials knowing very well that nothing was done
wrongly by us. Even in the case of coffee filters we often observed
strange curves and rejected them on the basis that "something is not
right" basis.
******************************
Jack Uretsky (JLU@HEP.ANL.GOV) wrote:

I hope that I'm misreading this. The burden, as I understand it, is on
the experimenter to demonstrate that the data are "good". The ultimate
test is that that the data are reproduced independently in a different lab.
Deviations from expectations should certainly be investigated - consider
the guy who kept moving his photographic film away from the drawer
containing the radium ore (before the discovery or radioactivity). In other
words, the rejected data were just as "good" as the accepted data. The
rejection merely biased that experiment in favor of your expectations.

You are correct, Jack, by saying how it should be. But can this be done in
a traditional setting when the amount of time is limited? Comparing our
rejections of irreproducible data with the attitude of Buequerel toward a
strange looking film is not worth the bandwidth. But the role of the lab
in the introductional physics course is certainly worth discussing.

For example, should laboratory work be time-limited or not? Should it be
cookbook-like or not? Could it be offererd as a separate unit after the
no-lab semester is over? What are we trying to accomplish? Who should be
conducting the labs? Wouldn't good demonstrations (on which reports must
be written, and in which student interactions are strongly promoted) be
more useful than traditional labs?

Please share your ideas and observations about labs in the introductory
physics courses. I think there is a lot of room for improvements in this
area. Much more than we are willing to admit.
Ludwik Kowalski