Re: Hiroshima...No Sound?

On Fri, 12 Dec 1997 herbgottlieb@juno.com wrote:

(John Trammell) writes:

And where were the survivors buried? :-)

Could all of the survivors have been killed by
the blast before the sound arrived??

If the blast was powerful enough, it might not have just killed the
victims, it might have killed all the survivors too!

;)

Actually, I really did hear from a friend who accidentally touched off a
gas explosion in his basement. He says that he heard nothing, but people
outside the house sure did!

I suspect that sudden fluctuations in air pressure may turn off our
hearing sense. I noted that this started to happen to me years ago, while
ascending in an old plane with poor cabin pressure regulation. My hearing
became less and less until I yawned and popped my ears. If an explosion
creates a large change in pressure, which stretches the eardrum, then as
far as the human is concerned, the explosion is silent.

billb@eskimo.com www.eskimo.com/~billb