Re: p for momentum?

In a April issue of Am J Phys a few years back, Dan Gillespie wrote a short
note revealing the historical origins of the symbol 'p' for momentum. I
read it to my general physics classes every time. Jim Marsh

I have been asked to ask the list, what is the origin of the symbol "p" for
momentum.

Is that the one where 'p' comes from pimento, as in an olive. At a
cocktail party Newton, it is reported, was trying to pull the pimento out
of his olive and thought of the change in the pimentum. Thus we have 'p'
for momentum. It was a very cute and memorable explanation for using 'p'
for momentum, especially so since we seem to have no other.

--Jim Pengra, Walla Walla, Washinton 99362 mailto:pengra@whitman.edu