Re: Air Resistance

Date: Wed, 10 Dec 1997 13:43:27 -0500 (EST)
From: "James W. Wheeler" <jwheeler@eagle.lhup.edu>
Subject: Re: Air resistance

Question: What is the volume and density of the falling object? Is
Flotation an important effect?
F = -gV(density object-density air) -cv^n

The object was "WILSON OFFICIAL SIZE-WEIGH" ball but it was poorly inflated.
The weight was 0.550 kg, the diameter was 9.5 inches (not 9, as reported
earlier). This gives volume V=0.0588 m^3 and density=9.35 kg/m^3. Room
temperature probably 25 C. I am puzzled by your first sign, you probably
did not mean the sign of m*g and the sign of the air resistance term, c*v^n,
to be the same. But you are right that the buoyancy correction should be
made when R is evaluated from a. I will do it and report a better value
of n, probably tonight.

With new diameter the empirical formula from a book (see below) gives:

v --> 2.5 m/s 3.0 3.5 4.0 4.5 5.0
R --> 0.080 N 0.115 0.157 0.205 0.260 0.320

Not dramatically different from our experimental data. Air resistance
is clearly not negligible at the velocities of this experiment. Note
that v=5 m/s is about 11 mi/hr.

The reference for the empirical formula: "Analytical Mechanics" by
G.R. Fowles and G.L. Cassiday, Fifth Edition, 1993, page 62. It is the
usual c1*v+C2*v^2 description. For a sphere of diameter D the empirical
values are: c1=1.55*10^-4*D and c2=0.22*D^2, all in SI units.