Re: Creation (long)

On Sun, 07 Dec 1997 17:18:05 -0700 (MST) DSCHROEDER@cc.weber.edu writes:
For Dan and others:

I can't parse the locution "the big bang occurred at a certain
point
in time".

Did I say that? If so I apologize. I can't parse it either. But I
don't think I said it. I don't like the "point in time" part, and
also
I tend to avoid the term "big bang" for a variety of reasons.
Sometimes I use the phrase "the beginning of time as we know it",
or something similar. You know, pretend that the equations are good
right up to infinite density, call that t=0.

Also, I am confused by all these distances that light travels.
From
the viewpoint of the corpuscle, it hasn't gone anywhere as all of
its
traveling is where it is. Are not two events zero interval apart
the
same event? Notice, that question is *not* rhetorical. In
space-time
do we not have events rather than points? Is a point defined even?

I'm not really sure what you're getting at here.

-dan

That makes two of us. Well, I guess I can forage for a few scraps of
preverbal cogitation. In space-time we have replaced distance and
period of time with the *interval* between two events. Now, the reason
we think traveling faster than the speed of light is that the interval
between two events that lie on the light cone is zero. I have been led
to believe that if we traveled a just the speed of light, we would arrive
at the same instant that we departed. We can't expect to do better than
that. I thought that the interval between two events being zero made
the departure and arrival at two coordinates separated in a space-like
way coincident. Now, I'm not so sure. But, if interval were a metric,
from the viewpoint of a photon every set of coordinates would seem like
every other. In a sense the Universe would have shrunk to a point.
That is why the speed of light is the same regardless of the behavior of
the coordinate system - as I understood it only a few hours ago, but
Feynman had just confused me only a day or two ago, whereas Russell made
me think I understood well enough for a bebop drummer decades ago.

I am not comfortable until I do a little math and solve some problems
that I shall make up for the purpose after reviewing Feynman's and
Bowman's explanation's when I finish my music lesson for the day, which
is dedicated to the music of Chris Anderson, a brilliant, but seriously
handicapped, musician who would be inconvenienced by being black even if
he weren't inconvenienced by everything else. He is sort of the Stephen
Hawking of music.

Regards / Tom