Re: air resistance

On Sat, 6 Dec 1997, John Mallinckrodt wrote (or meant to write):

With do = d at the first time, vo = v at the first time, r = b/m where m =
mass of falling object, and F_drag = bv^n, I get the following (all in SI
units)

r n do vo g rms deviation in d values
0.18 0.2 0.608 1.776 9.8 .0009
0.023 2.0 0.6078 1.772 9.8 .0007
0.0004 5.0 0.6079 1.763 9.8 .0008

The values of the best fit parameters will surely depend to some small
extent on the numerical method used. I used a simple "predictor-
corrector" type method. I could have obtained marginally better fits by
allowing g to be a free parameter as well, but that was clearly pushing
the data too hard.

In fact, I can get an almost equally good fit to the data by simply
assuming a constant drag force leading to a constant acceleration of 9.57
m/s^2 with do = .6081 m and v0 = 1.777 m/s^2.

John
A. John Mallinckrodt http://www.intranet.csupomona.edu/~ajm
Professor of Physics mailto:ajmallinckro@csupomona.edu
Physics Department voice:909-869-4054
Cal Poly Pomona fax:909-869-5090
Pomona, CA 91768-4031 office:Building 8, Room 223