Re:air resistance

On Sat, 6 Dec 1997, LUDWIK KOWALSKI wrote:

The air resistance data are no longer "quick and dirty". Propagation of
random errors of d --> "differences of differences" is very instructive
and worth emphasizing. The bottom line is that the R=F(v) curves are
quadratic.
t(s) d(m) v(m/s) a(m/s^2) R(N)

1.400 0.608 1.773 9.63
1.425 0.655 2.013 9.65
1.450 0.708 2.254 9.65
1.475 0.668 2.494 9.64 0.09
1.500 0.835 2.734 9.60

(rest of the data deleted)

Ludwik,

I assume the data point for d at t = 1.475 s is an error and
should read "0.768 m." With that correction I can (as with the
previous data) obtain *excellent* numerical fits to your d vs. t
data (i.e., rms errors in d less than 1 least sig fig) with drag
exponents (i.e., the n in F_drag = b v^n) anywhere from 1/5 to 5.
I get marginally better fits with n near 2, but certainly not
significantly enough better to come to any conclusions about the
precise value of n (which I, nevertheless, suspect *is* pretty
close to 2 at these speeds.)

I believe that you are making an error in trusting the
acceleration values for precisely the reasons that you note in
discussing the need for averaging. Furthermore, as you later write:

Do not forget that high accuracy of a is essential because R is calculated
as m*(9.8-a). If a=9.44 (+/- 3%) then R is 0.2 (+/- 100 %).

Exactly, and, because of the gross errors introduced by double
differencing and then averaging over large times, you will not
likely get the accuracy you need.

Again, it is my opinion that this data simply cannot settle the
question. The data would have to be taken over a much larger
range of v, probably with more precision in the distance data, and
possibly with better time resolution.

John
A. John Mallinckrodt http://www.intranet.csupomona.edu/~ajm
Professor of Physics mailto:ajmallinckro@csupomona.edu
Physics Department voice:909-869-4054
Cal Poly Pomona fax:909-869-5090
Pomona, CA 91768-4031 office:Building 8, Room 223