Re: ULTRASONIC MOTION DETECTORS

At 16:12 12/5/97 -0600, you wrote:
I have had the same experience and have an explanation which seems to work
for me. If you point the motion detector at the floor the pulsed sound will
bounce back and forth between floor and ceiling. The detector determines
distance by measuring the time between the issuance of a pulse and the first
echo that comes back to it, ignoring all other echos. Under the right
sample rate and ceiling to floor height you can get a multiply reflected
echo from a previous pulse returning to the detector before the echo from
the current pulse. This is exacerbated by highly reflecting surfaces such
as a linoleum floor and acoustical tile ceiling. Changing the sample rate
allows the reflections to die off between samples so that the first echo to
return is the desired one. Putting carpet on the floor dampens the first
reflection so that subsequent reflections are not large enough to be
detected.

... One
ought to be able to calculate for a given ceiling to floor height what pulse
rate allows this multiply reflected echo to be a problem. I haven't done
this yet but intend to.

Jim Riley

This description is so cogent that one immediately sees its virtue.

For a speed of sound c, ceiling to floor height of d, one sees that
for an inter pulse time t < 8d/c a false trigger is possible 4 rnd trips
t < 6d/c more possible 3 rnd trips
t < 4d/c probable. 2 rnd trips

These interpulse times correspond with pulse repetition frequency f = 1/t
in the usual way.

As a sanity check, I use d = 10 ft.
c = 1120 ft/sec
to estimate the probable prf for error as 28 pulses per sec. or more...

Brian
brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net>
Altus OK