Re: Electric Breakdown

Earlier in this discussion the comment was made that there is an optimum
pressure for breakdown. More or less pressure requires higher voltage.
Can anyone elaborate on why this is true? The increase in voltage at the
low pressure end seems reasonable enough but why an increase at the high
pressure end? I always wondered why an engine that runs perfectly at mid
throttle would miss at full throttle. This seems to offer a potential
explaination, but before I jump to this conclusion I'd like to understand
it better.