Re: Creation

On Thu, 04 Dec 1997 19:54:53 -0700 Jim Green <JMGreen@Sisna.com> writes:
At 06:11 PM 12/4/97 -0700, Dan wrote:

When we say that the
universe is expanding or that space is expanding, what we really mean
is that the galaxies (or rather, clusters of galaxies) throughout the
observable universe are getting farther apart.

Dan, isn't it the case that the galaxies are fleeing from each other
for TWO
reasons? Now I am stuck for layman language: They are "moving" apart
*and"
the distance between them is getting bigger. How does one say that to
a lay
person?
What's wrong with drawing spots on a balloon and explaining that space is
the surface of the ballone, i.e., a two-dimensional manifold? Does this
mean I have a misconception because I was satisfied by that explanation.
For such explanations, I always reduce the number of dimensions to the
fewest that make sense. Doesn't everyone? -TLW