Re: Eureka! Stories

Date: Thu, 4 Dec 1997 11:37:14 -0600
From: "Doug Craigen" <dcc@cyberspc.mb.ca>
To: <phys-l@atlantis.uwf.edu>
Subject: Eureka! Stories

I generally get very good feedback/suggestions from phys-l
members, so here goes again:

My latest webventure is now taking shape. The general
concept is to tell young children stories from the lives of
great historical scientists. There are multiple reasons
ranging from teaching some basic concepts to shaping their
perceptions of science and scientists.

Anybody who has an interest in science education of young
children please have a look at the site and email me your
comments. Thank you.

http://www.cyberspc.mb.ca/~dcc/eureka/

Doug:
I believe that the Nobel Lecture of Luis Alverez would be
a good example: As I remember, it he and Donald Glazer
were drinking an unnamed carbonated beverage--this is a
kiddie page, after all. The noticed that the bubbles
formed at certain points on the bottom and sides of the
glasses leading to speculation that there were points on
the glass which were charged due to imperfections in the
material. This led, more or less, to the development of
the bubble chamber for observing the tracks of charged
particles.
WBN
Barlow Newbolt
Department of Physics and Engineering
Washington and Lee University
Lexington, VA 24450
Telephone and Phone Mail: 540-463-8881
Fax: 540-463-8884
e-mail: NewboltW@madison.acad.wlu.edu

"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future."

Neils Bohr