Re: A once in a lifetime opportinity

At 13:23 12/3/97 -0400, Ludwik wrote:

[Leigh]
I got 20 mCi in all, a second dose while exercising.

Without trying to be too picky, what is a typical dose (in rems=rads)
received by an individual?

An (approximate) estimator for dose rate from y-ray point sources is
5000 C E /d^2 roentgens/hr.

C source activity (Ci)
E energy of y-ray (MeV)
d distance from source in cm.

Using C = 10mCi
E = 0.14 MeV
d = 3 cm. half radius of cardiac muscle
dose rate is estimated at 0.8 r/hr initially.

20 mCi of Tc99m (or 0.010 Ci)...

?

The Tc99m atoms which were in Leigh's body several days ago turned into
Tc99. They are no longer in his body (Tc is highly-soluble in water).

Sugar is highly soluble in water. Nevertheless, I fear the sugar
I consumed several days ago is still with me in some form.
It is a question of
metabolic turnover.

Radioactive
decay would be linear, rather than exponential, if the average decay
rate were to remain constant.

Actually, the prerequisite for exponential change is to have a constant
rate of growth or decay.

But how can the rate be kept constant
when the number of atoms (in the parent generation) becomes less and
less?

Does the bank rate of 10% p.a. change if it is your $84000 or my $44 ?

Sincerely,