Re: A maximum possible acceleration?

Ludwik is not appeased with accelerations due to rotations, so I must
consider linear acceleration, which I will suppose is always due to
a force of some kind.
It is easy to discount the kinds of electric field which motivate
mechanical force, because at some point a macroscopic object will be
squashed if the acceleration is too great; the force needing to spread
over a wider area of application until a rather thin layer, perhaps
a monatomic layer is the limit.

And so I am finally left with the force of gravity, which it appears may be
multiplied without limit and which would provide an arbitrarily large
acceleration to a particle approaching a hole of sufficient mass.

brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net>
Altus OK

Actually, gravity can cause a vacuum breakdown too, analogous to the
Klein paradox. This is one way of thinking about Hawking radiation.
Make the gravitational field large enough and you start to create
particle/antiparticle pairs.

Paul J. Camp "The Beauty of the Universe
Assistant Professor of Physics consists not only of unity
Coastal Carolina University in variety but also of
Conway, SC 29528 variety in unity.
pjcamp@coastal.edu --Umberto Eco
pjcamp@postoffice.worldnet.att.net The Name of the Rose
(803)349-2227