Re: optics/Japan (ii)

At 23:19 11/27/97 EST, David Dockstader wrote:

On Thu, 06 Nov 1997 07:44:37 -0600 brian whatcott said:

I was surprised by the resolving power of the optics you mentioned.
In the modulation tranfer function plots I am familiar with ( for cameras)
the resolution limit seems to occur around 300 line(pairs) per mm
at perhaps 5% modulation, with a more representative value of 180 lpmm
for reasonable modulation depth.

[Dockstader]
Where did these MTF plots come from? What were they supposed to represent?
I've looked at a lot of lenses and I can tell you for a fact that any lens
that cuts off at 300 lines/mm isn't much of a lens.

Hmmm...in return, I can tell you that any lens that claims a spatial
frequency transfer of 3000 lines per mm (the figure you mentioned 3 or 4
weeks ago)
is representing that it can transmit information on a spatial ( transverse)
wavelength of 333 nanometers, using visible light in the wavelength range
400 to 700 nanometers.

Quite a trick!

You have a reference, of course?

Sincerely