Re: optics/Japan

At 23:19 11/27/97 EST, David Dockstader wrote:

On Thu, 06 Nov 1997 07:44:37 -0600 brian whatcott said:

In the modulation tranfer function plots I am familiar with ( for cameras)
the resolution limit seems to occur around 300 line(pairs) per mm

Where did these MTF plots come from? What were they supposed to represent?
I've looked at a lot of lenses and I can tell you for a fact that any lens
that cuts off at 300 lines/mm isn't much of a lens. Perhaps the MTFs that
you have also included the effects of the film.

MTF -as a camera system quality measure naturally encompasses the image as
recorded on film. It seems to me that lens resolving power much in excess
of the resolution of the finest grain films is ..er.. academic.
(Or have emulsions so improved in the last decade or two?)

Regards
brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net>
Altus OK